Tips for Washing Clothes
Your clothes and how you wear them are an expression of who you are. So why not treat them with care? With the right washing methods, you can help keep your favourite tees, tanks, and pants looking better and lasting longer. Not sure how to do laundry the right way? We’ve got you covered. Below are a few simple steps to help you get the most out of your current wardrobe.
Tips for Washing Clothes
- Sort white clothes from colors. Don’t skip this step! Sorting your laundry is key to keeping your white clothes brighter and your colorful clothes more vibrant. If your wash loads are uneven, it’s okay to throw grays and pastels in with the whites. But be sure to wash items like blue jeans, red socks, and black tees separately.
- Check your pockets. Foreign objects such as crayons or ink pens can sometimes ruin an entire load of laundry. Make sure you check your pockets and remove all objects, belts, and accessories.
- Use the right water temperature. In general, whites should be washed in hot or warm water, and colors should be washed in cold water. When in doubt, read the labels. This brings us to our next tip…
- Read, read, read! Garment labels are there for a reason. They will tell you whether or not a specific piece of clothing can go in the dryer, whether it needs to be washed at a particular temperature or setting, or if it’s dry clean only. (If your label says “dry clean only,” please stop here and continue to our Services page to learn about our professional Dry Cleaning service.)
Two words: delicate cycle. Also known as gentle cycle, the delicate cycle setting should typically be used when washing nice work clothes, knit sweaters, or lingerie. Pro tip: always wash your delicate clothes in cold water.
- Follow the washing machine instructions. On the front of the washing machine, you’ll notice a set of simple instructions telling you where and when to add the detergent, clothing, and bleach (if needed). It’s best to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for any given machine.
- Use less detergent. At Washateria, our washing machines are highly efficient. They use less water than a regular machine; therefore, less detergent is needed. So use a little less than normal!
- Don’t overfill the machine. If you stuff the washer or dryer too full, it may cause jams or prevent the machine from working properly. Plus, extra-large loads may take longer to dry. So be sure to leave your clothes a little breathing room, especially when washing heavier items like towels or jeans.
- Avoid wire hangers. To avoid creasing, it’s best to hang your clothes on wooden or thicker plastic hangars instead of wire hangars.
Advanced Tips for Stain Removal
If you are prone to spilling,
if your kids play sports, or
if you work at a job where
your clothes get really
dirty, you may be in need
of more advanced
washing advice. Check out
these helpful stain
removal tips from Tide.
OUR NEWS & BLOGS
LATEST BLOG POSTS